Rookies Relics Finalist!! I made it!!
THE ANTIKYTHERA MECHANISM - Rookies Monthly Competition Breakdown and Development Process
Hey everyone!! I would like to say how proud I am to have actually made it to the finalist rank on The Rookies Monthly Relic Competition. I will show you my process and any breakdowns necessary.
⋆.˚✮🎧✮˚.⋆
Song of the day...
▶︎ •၊၊||၊|။||||| 0:10
──────── ୨୧ ──────── ୨୧ ──────── ୨୧ ──────── ୨୧ ──────── ୨୧ ────────
RESEARCH
CONCEPT ART
The Antikythera Mechanism is often regarded as the world's first known analogue computer, a remarkable Hellenistic device designed to predict astronomical events and track celestial cycles. This project presents an original interpretation of a previously unknown fragment, inspired by the surviving remains recovered from the Antikythera shipwreck.
Rather than recreating an existing piece, I designed a new fragment that remains faithful to the mechanism's engineering, inscriptions, and astronomical purpose while exploring how such a discovery might appear during modern conservation.
The focus of the project is the fragment itself, showcasing layered astronomical dials, exposed gearing, Greek inscriptions, and centuries of corrosion, with the surrounding workspace acting as a subtle narrative to support its history and restoration.
MODELLING STAGES
I have made a few custom alpha brushes for the Lunar and Greek Zodiac calendar. The text for the Zodiac Symbols are all hand-engraved as I have used the Greek alphabet to help word out the correct lettering for each month.
This is the hieroglyphics I practiced writing for each of the individual months, this will help me in the texturing stages.
Next I created the frame for the outer ring dial which I will soon engrave the months in hieroglyphics and then sculpted the rock to cave around the dials, cogs and frames.
Brought it inot Maya and sectioned the parts into low and high polty folders, and made the UVs needed and ready for texturing.
Low poly of the corrosion has been done, took the entire day to get good topology and the UVs sorted. I then had to try different ways for laying out the UDIMs and tested out which ones worked for me bsed on Legacy.
I started with applying the basic materials with some dirt generators. I then spent a few hours on the corrosion, making sure I stick to my refrences and creating that shipwreck corroded look.

Comments
Post a Comment